by DGK Gary Megaffin
In September 2012, the Kitchener Knights of Columbus began a new venture serving the community when Council 1504 moved into our new home at 797 Guelph Street in Kitchener. The blessing of the property by Bishop Douglas Crosby in November of that year, only endowed the Knights with the energy and determination to continue our many charitable works. It has been an active six years for Council 1504 and now more room is required to properly carry out our planned programs and to ensure an inviting and appealing home for both our young and senior Knights.
Meeting with PGK Brian Schmalz, Vice Chair of the Corporation and Chairman of the Building Committee, Brian said that instead of moving to new premises, it was decided to expand the current Columbus House. The project was officially announced at the Corporation’s Annual General Meeting in April. Planned construction is to include an increase in the main level with a basement.
Pending City approvals, it is hoped construction could begin next Spring and completed before then end of 2019. The project will create a more handicap friendly facility at 797 Guelph Street, making it more accessible including a much larger meeting room and new washrooms. The expansion will be used solely by Council 1504 with no plans to permit renting the premises for any third-party events. The lower hall is expected to be used for recreational activities such as card and darts. This energetic project will not only enhance the appeal for the Kitchener Knights of Columbus but should result in an increase in our membership.